Monday, January 4, 2010

Goat.

I feel as though this part of the experience deserves a blog of its own.

Merry Christmas! In Sweeden and Germany, they celebrate Christmas on December 24th. So, we did the same, as Clockwise was from Sweeden, and Rico (another volunteer) and the owners of the property (our hosts) were from Germany.
Anyway, that's not the point of this story.

To celebrate Christmas, we decided to buy a goat. And, in doing so, I began my participation in a very... interesting cultural experience.

We named the goat Queen Victoria, took pictures with her, and, you know, got attached a little bit. But then came time for the Masai to.. prepare her.

Stop reading now if you are a vegetarian, are thinking of becoming a vegetarian, or love animals to an extreme. PETA members strictly prohibited. Also, don't read if you are faint of "heart"--If you know what I mean.

I know it was gross, and may sound disturbing, but you really had to be there. In the moment, it was completely different.

Erik (one of the members of Clockwise) and two of the Masai held down the goat, and Tom cut its throat. The Masai were holding a cup in front to catch the blood, and passed it around. Then, once it slowed down, they started drinking blood straight from the throat.
After watching this, I felt like giving it a try. So.. I nealt down and drank some. Possibly one of the most out-there things I have ever done, in retrospect. I knew before that I wanted to try the blood, but from the throat? Never crossed my mind (though I didn't even know they did it).

I am proud to say that I was the only Mzungu to drink the blood. Hah. I won't talk about the flavor right now, however.
I think someone got it on video... but you probably don't want to see it.

After they finished skinning Queen Victoria, the Masai handed Erik, Rico and I pieces of Kidney. We tried it; Erik and I managed to swallow it. It actually was much better than I had expected. The after-taste was pretty good, in fact. I have to say it didn't taste very dissimilar to the part of the meat the Masai cooked (they cooked half their way, and we cooked half our way). I was expecting it to be chewier, I think, but it really wasn't of an unpleasant consistancy.

It was very delicious cooked. Erik and Yolanda marinated it, and then Erik and I grilled it. It turned out amazing-ly.

The next day I was attacked by a goat. Oh goodness, crazy times. I messed with it like a Matador, and Yolanda just laughed and laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment